M.A. in English/American Literature
The MA track in English/American Literature at Tunghai University aims to provide students with a comprehensive knowledge of English/American literature, including critical and cultural theory. While welcoming students interested in a broad range of English/American literary fields, the program is especially relevant to students focusing on the cultural, social, and political dimensions of literature. Students are expected to engage not only with the aesthetic aspects of literary texts, but also the ways in which literature expresses the values, views, and ideologies of a given culture, people and society. Additional important core values include proficiency in the conventions of scholarship, bibliographic procedures, and relevant mass media and Internet resources. The program also emphasizes the ability to write well, to do substantial scholarly and critical work in a specialized field, and to make articulate presentations at seminars, symposia, and other venues.
M.A. in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
- The department provides an excellent learning environment and variety of courses to help students gain in-depth knowledge of English and American literature and culture and develop their research potential.
- All courses in the English/American Literature MA are taught in English, providing everyday, direct practice in thinking, analyzing and communicating in English.
- The program faculty includes Taiwanese and foreign professors coming from diverse backgrounds and representing expertise in a variety of academic fields such as English/American Literature, Comparative Literature, Theater, and Children's Literature.
- The program intends to invite eminent scholars from other universities in Taiwan as well as overseas to serve as visiting faculty in the program. One full-time faculty position will be reserved every year for this purpose.
- While offering a fairly encyclopedic range of academic subjects, the proposed program exhibits special strength in the study and teaching of the cultural, social and political dimensions of literature. Many of the courses featured in its curriculum will enable students to relate their study to the local context (either directly or by comparison) and prepare them for future careers related to English/American language, literature and culture in Taiwan/Asia.
- The FLLD has a TEFL/Applied Linguistics MA track and literature students can also take courses in this track.
The MA Program in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) was established in 2000. It is a graduate program that combines theory and practice. It is designed (1) to provide an opportunity for further study for people interested in the improvement of English education in Taiwan, and (2) to develop an opportunity for those who are interested in teaching English at the secondary level in Taiwan to seek their teaching certificate.
The MA Program in TEFL follows the Foreign Languages and Literature Department's fifty years of tradition. It has the following characteristics:
- The professional specializations of faculty members cover various academic fields of study.
- All MA courses are taught in English, following the department's tradition, and students are immersed in an English environment while they study in this graduate program.
- The program emphasizes the practice of English teaching as well as theory.
- The program interacts with other related programs and institutes within Tunghai University: The Graduate Program in Education, the Affiliated High School and Elementary School, and the Freshman English for Non-Majors Program.
- The program cooperates with several elementary schools and high schools in Taiwan to provide MA students with teaching practicum and research opportunities.